blog


Friday, October 14, 2011

Choosing doctors


I was told I had stage 1 grade 2 breast cancer and I caught it early!  Still numb from the news!  I have no family that I knew of that ever had breast cancer, then my mother told me I had a great aunt on her fathers side of the family who had breast cancer.  From what I understand you don't have to have a family history of breast cancer.

  My mother had colonrectal cancer and thank God she is cancer free.  My grandfather has Prostate & Bone cancer right now, so I do have a history of cancer in my family.
My doctor said my next step was to get a surgeon and an oncologist.  So he gave me some referrals and here is how my doctors appointment went...

 My stomach was in knots when I went to see my surgeon. I walked in the waiting room and it was packed with people and the room was old and smelly, probably because someone was cooking their lunch in the back room!  Then they called my name and waited for my doctor to come in and in walks my doctor from Pakistan who I could barely understand.  Don't get me wrong I am not prejudice, I just need to understand his English and I don't want him to smell like LUNCH!!!   I mean c'mon... if he is going to have a knife in his hand I think I should at least like him!!!!  

 My sister is married to a Dentist and she always used to tell me first impression are huge in business and I totally agree so I wasn't really liking this doctor before I even met him.  I wanted a doctor that has OCD, a compulsive disorder (but, in this case it would not be a disorder) for perfection if he was going to work on my body, so I kinda felt if he did not care about what the office looked like and what the employees were doing then, was he going to care about me?   By the way my Oncologist is from Pakistan and I do like him and I can understand him! 

 I got another referral for a surgeon #2.  This one was better, nice front office, nice employees and he was really nice.  A chubby Italian and funny too. The surgeon reminded me of Joey from friends (by the way best show ever,) he was wearing a thick gold chain and the thought of this doctor standing for hours, kinda made me nervous. If you could say in an Italian accent "you want boobs?  I'll give you boobs!"  That's the kinda of doctor he reminded me of.  My surgeon gave me a referral for a plastic surgeon, and I asked him if he was on my insurance and he told me not to worry about it?  Red flag?  Oh...forgot to add he was a teaching surgeon (which made me feel good) and had two assistant while I was there so I got the added bonus of not only showing my ta tas to him, but to his two students as well. Which I thought was kinda tacky for a first time meeting!  

 At this point I had decided to do a bilateral mastectomy  I will go more into that later.  So onto the plastic surgeon I was referred to.  He was nice, but the thing that bothered me the most was that he had been doing this for ten years, but he had no pictures to show me?  Are you kidding me? (red flag!)  During this time the surgeon and plastic surgeon needed to coordinate their schedules for surgery. 

 Thank goodness they were taking a while because I was not comfortable with either one!   So I was taking things into my own hands and not going off of the referrals from my doctor.  First I had to make sure who ever I chose they were on my Insurance!  The referrals I was getting were close to my home and I decided I did not care where they worked as long as they were good, because this would be a decision I would have to live with FOREVER! 

 I Found a" best in the nation"  plastic surgeon ( Dr.Anthony Admire) and he had PICTURES and he filled my desire for a perfectionist or OCD doctor...I hope! And he was very involved in the breast cancer community and that was reassuring to me that he at least had some compassion! 

 Next I found a Oncology breast surgeon (Dr. Linda Lui) that did work with my plastic surgeon and is well known in the breast cancer community.  So I know I am in good hands!  They are a little drive for me, but I decided its important that I liked my doctors and know they will take good care of me!
  So for those of you diagnosed with breast cancer after you see your regular doctor... you will need 2-3 more doctors: an Oncologist, a Surgeon and a possible Plastic Surgeon.


 
You want boobs?  I'll give you boobs!
 


Friends-Best show ever!








No comments:

Post a Comment