blog


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wrapped too TIGHT!

Long week after Dr. appointments.  Doesn't sound like much, but I guess when your healing everyday it does seems long.

Went to my plastic surgeon appointment last Wednesday, everything went well.  Was expecting him to take out my drains and then give me a fill so I could be on my way to my new Ta Ta's.  Well, he works a little slower than that, which I am grateful for...rather him be safe than sorry.  Of course I am looking forward to a change other than what I have now.

What they did was take out my DRAINS...and I am so thankful!!!   Because they were getting really uncomfortable!   Then he said he would do a fill next week, which I was a little disappointed because I was anxious to get things going.  He only likes to do one thing at a time. 

 I think he was going to keep my drains in a little longer, but one side looked like it was ready to come out.  So they took them out and patched me up and I was on my way. 

 I got about a half a mile away and noticed my back was soaked.  I had sprung a leak!!!  I guess this is normal, maybe I should have stayed a little longer to make sure I was done leaking..? 

 The doctor also told me I needed to start keeping my breast wrapped a little tighter.  I guess this is to keep the swelling down.  I had been just using the camisole and letting them go free and was loving it! 


Here is what a some women said when they had their drains removed too soon: One woman asked why her drains have not been taken out yet because it had been 3 weeks and she is still draining 50cc.
*I know the drains are a pain but you should listen to the doctors and leave them in until you are draining the 20 ml.  I pulled one of mine too early and kept having to go back in every 3 or 4 days to have the seroma that developed drained.  And I have a high pain tolerance but that HURT.  They would have to poke around (with what seemed to be a knitting needle) to "find the pocket."  I'd listen to the docs, though, and leave them in. (This is just one example to listen to your doctor even if the drains are uncomfortable and they say the drains are ready to come out)

*Is it possible that you are being too active? I believe that you need to take it very easy and keep compression on your chest. I know that the drain is a major pain, but you don't want to pull it too soon as your chest will just fill up with fluid (which is called a seroma). Several ladies on this board believe that the seroma could lead to future lymphedema. Please take it easy.

Just some Info about a Seroma:

A seroma is an accumulation of fluid in a tissue or organ that can occur after surgery, or sometimes after an injury such as blunt trauma. The fluid, called serum, leaks out of nearby damaged blood and lymphatic vessels. Cells are typically present in the fluid, which is normally clear.

Seromas can occur after a number of different types of surgeries, especially those that are extensive or involve significant tissue disruption. These include hernia repairs, significant plastic surgeries such as breast augmentation or reconstruction, abdominoplasties (tummy tucks), and surgeries performed for breast cancer. Seroma formation may be associated with an increased risk of infection and breakdown of the surgical site.
Surgical drain tubes with bulb suction devices are used after some surgeries to help reduce the risk of seroma formation. These allow for monitoring the volume of fluid leakage, and once drainage becomes minimal, the drains are removed. Seromas can form shortly after surgery if drains are not used, and they may also occur after removal of a drain.
So hoping when I go back they will not have to drain so I've been keeping them wrapped tight.  Hope it helps!!!

 NOW that I have been keeping them wrapped DAY & NIGHT and I felt as though I was suffocating! 
 In fact my daughter came over the next day and said... mom I heard the doctor say they need to be tight!  So of course she wrapped me nice & TIGHT, by the end of the evening I was hoping my expander's had not popped because I could barely breath.  I maybe exaggerating but that's how I felt!!

  Oh.. by the way if you do wrap yourself too tight your breast can take on a different shape, because they are just filled with the saline solution, but they do go back to the old shape they were.  But I do not suggest that just in case the expander's do pop, never thought of that till later!!!??

  During this time I was really liking my pain pills, probably unneeded if I had just lightened up my wrap.  Anyway I don't think they need to be so tight you can barely breath!!!!!!

This is probably what I should have got a... SPANKS BRA!
After the doctors appointment I went to dinner with my daughter, Kelley and my grand babies.  My grand babies are my best medicine!!!  After dinner my granddaughter Tegan drove home with us and I said lets stop at the Childrens Place, she had her preschool pictures the next day so we did a little shopping. 

 OMG...  so much fun, she loves to shop and of course I cannot say no.  She is only four 1/2 and she now likes to try the clothes on in the little dressing room....so cute!  If we had started our day off earlier we probably would have stopped and had her hair done!.....I am in so much trouble!!!!





1 comment:

  1. Tegan is SOO cute! The wrapping tight thing sounds a little like when I was trying to stop nursing. I would have Zach wrap me with an ace bandage really tight. It was horrible! I am sure it was awful for you Aunt Susie. That night, when I took the bandages off to breathe a bit, my boobs were litearlly square! I had to call Zach in to show him because I could hardly believe it! It was funny, but not at the time because it hurt so bad. That milk didn't want to go away. Thinking of you today, Aunt Susie :)

    ReplyDelete